Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: Murder of Crows


 Title: Murder of Crows (Book 1 of the Pillars of Dawn Series)
Author: Athena
Page Count: 400
My Rating: 4.5 TURTLES: A really great read, I highly recommend!

Synopsis:
Fable Montgomery is the Muse of Story.

Fourteen years ago she gave up her home, her memories, and the man she loved, to prevent a new Dark Age. Yet when her beloved aunt is murdered, the fate of two worlds rests on Fable’s ability to recover the memories she worked so hard to destroy.

Fable returns to the land of myth and magic, a place called Aria. A world that has been waiting fourteen long years for her to fulfill the promises she’s forgotten she made.

In a surge of power she writes the Prophecy of Crows, a 240 page manuscript of the future arc. But before she can read it, all but thirteen of the pages are stolen. With only thirteen pages to guide her through the story, Fable must rediscover her power of inspiration, because the last page of prophecy foretells her death.

And if the Muse of Story dies…all stories die with her.


Review:

I received this book from the author – who’s real name is actually Athena -  at the Wordstock Festival a few months ago. The cover and synopsis struck me right away. I have read intriguing summaries that didn’t live up to my expectations, but this book really did. I read Murder of Crows in record time. I couldn’t put it down! I loved the writing, the world-building was great, the characters were fully fleshed out, and my first thought when I finished it is “when is the sequel coming out?” I also loved that it was set in my hometown of Portland because I could specifically visualize the places the main character, Fable, was. (When she was on Earth, of course).

I don’t really have anything negative to say about this book, I really enjoyed it. I would say though that in my book it is definitely more New Adult than Young Adult due to the characters’ ages and the content, so a younger reader might want to wait a few years, or have someone tell them what pages not to read etc. But it is not an “Adult” book, I think it is perfectly acceptable for high school age and up.

In short, I highly recommend this book, you should get your hands on it as soon as possible! If you are a fan of action, fantasy, or paranormal romance, this is the book for you! The ending left me begging for more, and I cannot wait for the sequel to come out!




2 comments:

  1. Hello Larissa. I would just like you to know that I love your opinion and your detailed and honest book reviews. I've made myself a lovely list of all the books I must read now.

    I'm your biggest fan. I aspire to be just like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Ursula, that means so much! You are such an amazingly awesome person, and I will happily lend you my books! :)

      Delete

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!